Once you are bitten by the travel bug, there is no cure for it. I myself have a pretty bad case and I am not sure I want to be cured I want to see the world, but I want to prioritize these ten places for the next five years:
1. Batanes – Its rugged landscape is so breathtakingly beautiful and different from anywhere else in the country, it is hard to believe you are still in the Philippines. But just to be clear, Batanes is a legit Philippine territory — in case someone thinks of claiming ownership
Batanes Hills By Redcoat and reproduced under Creative Commons 2.0
3. Myanmar – So we’ve heard of the horrors relating to its political situation. But that does not change the fact that it is home to many beautiful temples and pagodas. And Ngapali Beach!
4. Peru – to see the famous Macchu Picchu, of course
5. Argentina – I hope to get as far as Ushuaia, unofficially the southernmost city in the entire world. “Ushuaia, fin del mundo, principio de todo” – Whoa, serious chills.
6. Bhutan -the last Shangrila high up in the Himalayas is the world’s last Buddhist Kingdom and is also the creator of the Gross National Happiness. The geek in me wishes we had touched upon this in our macroeconomics subject at university. Surely, there is more to life than economic gain and gross domestic product.
And I am not much of a trekker but if I could successfully trek through the mountains in Bhutan, I would die a happy death.
7. Italy – Rome, Amalfi, Sicily…specifically, Corleone?
8. Morocco – Casablanca, the great mosque and the medina at Fez are just some of my motivations in visiting this exotic country. Of course, before going there, I should at least know decent French. No worries. I am giving myself a deadline of 2 years.
9. New Zealand – seriously laid back and fun, who doesn’t want to go to Middle Earth?
10. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – I swear I will ride the Dragon Challenge.
As I said, these are my priorities for the next 5 years. But that does not mean I won’t visit other places. The more, the merrier! If I have the chance to discover a new place, I would go in a heartbeat. Think fire and ice experience in Iceland, hiking and swimming in a beautiful lake in Canada and surfing in Indonesia.
Do you have a list of places you wish to visit? Do share in the comments below!