I started teaching a new class today and boy, was I tired! I took a nap as soon as I got home, and when I woke up at 7-ish, I was famished. I realized I haven’t eaten anything substantial the entire day. Let’s see…I had a can of Nescafe espresso roast (I am addicted to this stuff), 1 bar of Hello wafer, 1 scoop of gelato and water.
I was craving for pasta and I read somewhere that it was easy to make Charlie Chan Chicken Pasta at home.
Here is a simple recipe for Yellow Cab’s beloved pasta dish.
You will need:
- Cooked spaghetti, 2 servings
- 1/4 chicken fillet, sliced into strips
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/4 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 3/4 tablespoon sesame oil
- Splash of rayu oil (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cooking oil
- In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion.
- Brown chicken pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together the oyster sauce, chili-garlic sauce, sesame oil, rayu oil and sugar.
- Pour on chicken and simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peanuts.
- Toss in cooked pasta.
- For a more authentic taste, add strips of shiitake.
- Make sure you used ordinary peanuts, not those with adobo flavor etc.
- Dry roast peanuts for better taste.
- Japanese rayu oil is a spicy sesame oil that I always have at home to use with instant ramen. It is perfect for this dish because I like it with a little spicy kick.
- Adjust rayu oil and chili-garlice sauce according to your tolerance.